The Brewers Association’s “can’t miss” craft beer and food pairing event, SAVOR, returned to Washington, D.C., on Friday, June 24 after a two-year, pandemic-induced hiatus. At the event, more than 100 small and independent craft breweries poured iconic and innovative beers, each thoughtfully paired with a small plate to tickle the palates of over 2,500 attendees.
Craft beer is an integral part of any culinary experience, as the craft beer industry accounts for more than $100 billion in sales in the U.S. and is an expected addition to restaurant beverage menus. The SAVOR experience featured America’s finest craft beers and culinary combinations by top chefs and breweries around the nation, creating a diversity of flavors that delighted attendee senses.
Key takeaways from one-night-only event include:
- The Beer List: The evening was juicy, hazy, sour, dark, and so much more. 110 independent craft breweries from 36 states plus Washington D.C. poured more than 225 beers to complement the SAVOR menu.
- The Venue: For the first time, SAVOR took place at The Anthem, a new $60 million waterfront venue that accommodated 30 percent more small breweries than previous years.
- The Menu: Beers were paired to 65 menu items plus oysters from Island Creek Oysters and Charcuterie from Red Apron Butchery.
- Award-Winning Culinary Team: Led by Adam Dulye, executive chef at the Brewers Association, the award-winning culinary team of 10 put together more than 200 craft beer and food pairings to create an elevated experience.
- The 2022 Commemorative Beer: Crafted by Two Roads Brewing, every guest at this year’s gathering received a table beer, perhaps the original beer style for beer pairing. Brewed from Connecticut-grown malt and hop, the “secret” ingredient is the unique strain of yeast. A yeast like no other — captured at their brewery property — gave this beer a distinctive peppery, tropical fruit edge.
Save the date for 2023
The 2023 edition of SAVOR will return to the nation’s capital next spring. Date TBD. We look forward to seeing you next year!