2017 SAVOR Lottery is Now Closed.
The lottery closed at midnight MST on Thursday, January 12. Breweries will be notified if they were randomly selected by Friday, January 20.
Entering your brewery in the lottery does not guarantee participation in the event and no late entries will be accepted once the lottery closes. Breweries entering the lottery, must agree to all Rules & Regulations (found below) associated with participating in the event, including having an owner/principal of the brewery present at the event.
After the lottery window closes, breweries will be grouped into regions of the country and randomly selected to fill the available spots for that region. All breweries entered in the lottery will be notified by Friday, January 20 if they were randomly selected to participate. Breweries selected for SAVOR will receive a confirmation email with further details about participating in the event and will need to confirm two beers for the event by January 29.
Changes for 2017
2017 marks the 10th edition of SAVOR and to celebrate, we’ve made some exciting changes.
- The Grand Market Concept – Gone are the small clusters of four breweries as we’re moving breweries to the perimeter of the National Building Museums Great Hall to allow attendees to move more freely. We will also be adding breweries to the second floor balcony and pairing them with specialty food producers (charcuterie, chocolate, cheese, oysters).
- More Breweries – With the new configuration, 10 more breweries will be allowed to participate in the event.
- More Chef Participation – Chef Adam Dulye has enlisted the help of some culinary experts to help create the SAVOR menu.
- Based on attendee feedback and in an effort to provide more time for attendees to enjoy the numerous pairings offered, SAVOR salons will no longer be offered. Instead the rooms formerly used for salon presentations will offer a loungey vibe with additional (& much needed) seating, live music and areas for media interviews. And possibly other offerings. Stay tuned!
Brewery participation at SAVOR is open to US small and independent brewery members of the Brewers Association that are currently Professional Packaging or Pub Brewer members as defined by the Brewers Association bylaws, and Associate Brewery members who are craft brewers. Only one brewery within a control group may participate in SAVOR. To determine if your brewery membership falls into the Packaging and/or Pub Brewer membership class, see Bylaws of the Brewers Association (PDF file, ~267 KB) Article VIII, Section 1 & 2 (page 7).
How is a brewery chosen?
The event will consist of 70 breweries from 8 regions of the country pairing 2 of their beers with a food item. Breweries will be randomly chosen by lottery from each of the 8 regions (see the region breakdowns below). There will also be 16 additional spots available for participating brewery sponsors/supporters.
(Please note there have been a few minor changes to the region breakdown from previous years, most notably combining the Pacific and Southwest regions)
|Central||IA, KS, KY, MN, MO, NE, ND, OK, SD|
|Great Lakes||IL, IN, MI, OH, WI|
|Mid-Atlantic||DC, DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WV|
|Mountain||CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY|
|Northeast||CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT|
|Pacific & Southwest||AZ, CA, HI, NM, TX|
|Pacific Northwest||AK, OR, WA|
|South||AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN|
|2016 Barrelage||Registration Price*|
|15,000 barrels or less||$1,000|
|15,001 – 60,000 barrels||$1,250|
|60,001 – 105,000 barrels||$1,450|
|105,001 – 150,000 barrels||$1,650|
|150,001 – 500,000 barrels||$1,850|
|500,001 – 1,000,000 barrels||$2,050|
|Over 1,000,001 barrels||$2,250|
*Registration fees are on a sliding scale based on your estimated 2016 barrelage production. No refunds for cancellations. All payments are due by January 29.
IMPORTANT: ALL BREWERIES SELECTED TO PARTICIPATE IN SAVOR MUST HAVE A BREWERY OWNER/PRINCIPAL AT THEIR BOOTH AT ALL TIMES. PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THE LOTTERY IF YOUR BREWERY IS UNABLE TO MEET THIS REQUIREMENT.
Breweries entering into the 2017 SAVOR Brewery Participation Lottery agree to pay all registration fees, as well as abide by all requirements associated with the event should they be selected to participate.
Participation Information for Breweries Entering the Lottery
Sending Beer for the Event
Breweries will send a minimum of 1,728 ounces of each brand. We recommend sending 6 to 8 cases of 12-ounce bottles or cans, or the equivalent in other containers (22 oz., 750 mil, etc.). If the beer you are sending is available in kegs only, you may send kegs. Our recommendation for kegged beer is one 1/2 barrel per brand or two 1/4 or 1/6 barrels.
Each brand of beer must be delivered with a no charge invoice to Premium Distributors on the week of May 22. Shipping details will be sent to participating breweries after the confirmation process.
Beer and Food Pairings
Breweries will be allowed to showcase two beers at the event.
The SAVOR menu will be created by a culinary development team led by Chef Adam Dulye. Breweries will help contribute to this process along the way starting at the very beginning by providing “flavor profiles” of the beers they wish to pour at the event. These flavor profiles will help guide the overall development and flow of the menu for SAVOR. Beers must be finalized by January 29. Once the beers are finalized, the menu process will proceed with pairings finalized by early April. Breweries are encouraged to participate in the pairing selection as well as prepare the pairing item to sample with the beer to be poured. Recipes for the menu items to be paired with each beer will be made available to breweries by request.
Food pairing samples will be served at the brewery’s table.
A menu and beer pairing development meeting will take place the week of February 21 in Boulder with a panel of chefs and Certified Cicerones, plus members of the BA staff including Craft Beer Program Director, Julia Herz lending her expertise. Samples (1-2 bottles) of the beers your brewery will pour at SAVOR need to arrive to Boulder by February 15. This is a very important step in the menu development process and participation will ensure higher quality pairings.
New in 2017, participating breweries are responsible for making their own hotel reservations within a block of protected rooms at SAVOR’s host hotel. Each participating brewery will be given an American Express gift card at SAVOR which will cover the cost of one (1) hotel room for two (2) nights, Friday, June 2 and Saturday, June 3, 2017. Participating breweries must stay at SAVOR’s host hotel to receive reimbursement for their stay in DC. The host hotel is within walking distance of the event venue. More details will be provided upon confirmation of brewery participation.
Questions about hotel accommodations? Send an email to Kathryn@BrewersAssociation.org.
Rules & Regulations
In order to participate in SAVOR, breweries agree to the following rules:
- Brewery owners, brewmasters, or the “face of the brewery” are required to be at their table at SAVOR to discuss beer and food pairings with attendees. If the brewery owner, brewer or “face of the brewery” is unable to commit to being at the event, please do not enter the lottery. Volunteer beer servers will not be provided. A brewery representative is expected to be at your table at all times during the event. Entry into SAVOR includes three representative passes. This allows rotation of your representatives at the table.
- Breweries entering the lottery will pay the associated registration fees if selected.
- Only one brewery within a control group may participate in SAVOR.
- Marketing materials are allowed at your table. Each brewery will have an 18″ x 18″ area to display promotional items. This area may be used to display marketing materials or give away brewery items. Since space is limited, smaller items work best. Keep the upscale atmosphere in mind when selecting promotional materials.
- Bottles or cans are required. Exceptions are made for beers not available in this format.
- Brewers will receive badge credentials to enter the event and work their pouring station. Each participating brewery will receive three complimentary badges into the event. Everyone else entering the event will need to purchase a ticket.
- Brewery participation is open to US professional brewery members of the Brewers Association that are currently Professional Packaging or Pub Brewer members as defined by the Brewers Association bylaws, or Associate level members who are craft brewers.
- Breweries must provide the beer with a no charge invoice. (Logistics details to be provided).
Questions about the event? Send an email to Bradley@BrewersAssociation.org.
Here are the guidelines for participating on-site at the event.
- Brewery owners or brewmasters (the “face of the brewery”) are expected to be at their table at SAVOR. If the owner or “face of the brewery” is unable to commit to being at the event, please do not enter the lottery. No volunteers or beer servers will be provided. A brewery representative must be at your pouring table at all times during the event.
- Brewers will receive badge credentials to enter the event. Each brewery receives 3 badges. One of these must be for the owner/”face of the brewery” who will be at the table to talk with attendees.The other 2 allow for a rotation of brewery representatives at the table.
- Additional brewery representatives wishing to attend will need to purchase tickets for entry.
- Marketing materials are allowed at your table. You will have an 18″ x 18″ area where you can display promotional items. You can use this area to display marketing materials or give away brewery items. But since space is limited, smaller items work best. And please try to keep the upscale atmosphere in mind when selecting promotional materials.
Questions about the event? Send an email to Bradley@BrewersAssociation.org.